BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"...you'll never remember, your head is far too blurry..."

Waiting in line. Two hours of standing in the freezing cold and snow. Numb feet, red cheeks, pockets full of stickers, buttons and fliers promoting struggling artists who walk the line for hours in the cold trying to sell a CD or promote a website. The heart of Times Square in the snow at 5pm on a Tuesday night and still people fill the streets, umbrellas up, heads down, rushing to get warm.

But we wait. The crazy fans in below-freezing weather wait for the doors to open hours later. Some who had friends (or a parent in my case) to wait in line for them sought refuge in the stores next to us like the MTV store and Billabong. Others bought cups of coffee and hot chocolate at Starbucks to bring back to their friends. The guy with a short sleeved shirt and no coat was probably thankful for friends like that. Of course doors to a concert can only open half an hour later than they said they would. Figures.

Finally, we were inside. I slowly thawed. Very slowly. I had never been so cold in my entire life and I am not exaggerating one bit. My mom found a seat in the back to put our coats and bags, it was also her place to sit when standing the whole time got too much for her. I took my place at the front of the stage. I almost cried.

I was so close! I may not have been at the very front, but I was really close! It was amazing. I made temporary friends with two girls from Long Island. We talked about how unfair it was that all the tall people were in the front and we stuck together during the concert as we moved our way through the crowd.

I guess the crowd got bored while we watched them test the lights because a bunch of people blew up some condoms and everyone took turns hitting them into the air. My mom was like "Don't touch that, you don't know where it's been" and "I didn't know you could blow those up so big", lol she was cracking me up. I know this whole paragraph was totally unnecessary, but I just thought it was funny >.<

So the opening band was called Tiga(?). It was really these two guys rapping. They weren't very good, but luckily they only got to play 3 songs since they started really late.

I have to say, the bass was amazing! It felt like it was beating your heart for you and you could feel your clothes vibrate. My hair was vibrating, too, it was so weird :P

The venue was fairly small. There were seats in the back and the rest was standing. My mother had to go sit by 10pm because she was tired :) Good for me because she had all our coats and bags at the seat so I didn't have to carry it around.

Then... Fall Out Boy! They came on and played Thnks Fr Th Mmrs. Andy was shirtless (of course) even though I couldn't really see him until later into the concert. Patrick was wearing a green cap. Pete was in jeans and a red and black stripped mock turtle neck. He must of been SO HOT! And he was.... lol! :P Joe was wearing a band T-shirt but I don't remember what was on it. Check the pics.

They were great! Patrick has a great voice that carries really well and I am happy to say that his voice translates well on stage as well as in the studio. Pete is super hot in person! He had face paint on but I'm not exactly sure what it was supposed to be.

So here are the songs they played: (Of course I can never remember what order anything is in, but I'm sure about the first and last ones).

-Thnks Fr Th Mmrs
-Chicago Was So Two Years Ago
-I Don't Care
-America's Suitehearts
-Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown On A Bad Bet
-This Ain't A Scene It's An Arms Race
-Sugar We're Going Down
-Where Is Your Boy/Grand Theft Autumn
-Beat It
-I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me + You)
-The Take Over, The Break's Over
-I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me

Patrick sounded really good. And I was glad that Pete and Joe kept switching sides so I could see them both, and even Patrick came over to our side a couple times.

Haha when Pete talks he sound kind of dumb :P He's super cute though!

My mom pulled me out of the concert 10 minutes early because it was really hot and also we wanted to get to the signing early. And she got me an FOB shirt <3

We met my dad outside and he and I waited in line that snaked in and out of the rows of CDs in Virgin. We sat on the floor with all the other people, with our Folie A Deux's in hand. When Fall Out Boy came down the escalator we were all screaming. Then we steadily walked along the line snapping pictures of them every chance we got.
When I finally got up to the table, I had my booklet-thing out, open to Patrick's page (if you have the album then you know that each of the members has their own page with their picture and a huge blank space, perfect for autographs). And I got to talk to Patrick! I actually had a short conversation with Patrick Vaughn Stump! It went as following:

me: "Hi"
Patrick: "Hi"
me: "Great concert, really" (I was mixing up all my words)
Patrick: "Thanks, thank you"
Patrick: "So how are you?"
me: "Good! How are you?"
Patrick: "I'm great!"
me: "Good, thank you!"

AH! It was so cool, but I'm glad I didn't totally freak out while I was talking to him. I just said hi and thank you to the rest of them because the security guard was pushing us along. Everyone said hi and I could tell that if I had had time I would've had a conversation with Joe because you could tell that he was easy to talk to like Patrick the way his eyes lit up when he said hi. Pete didn't say anything but he looked at me with this look that said your welcome and was totally superior to me but still nice, but he can do that because he's Pete Wentz <3>

Really, it was one of the best nights of my life. It was a dream come true in every way. The close proximity, the signing, the conversation and just seeing them. It was really amazing.

Oh and I want to make a shout out to Gene Everett who has a band, but is not signed to a label. He has a MySpace page and he was handing out stickers and buttons all night long in the freezing cold and snow. He had CDs he said, but someone stole them on the subway. I felt really bad for him and I think people like that who really work to go somewhere in this world, especially being in NYC, deserve some credit, so check him out.

There was also another man out there all night trying to sell his rap CD. He said it was a clean CD with no bad language and he was letting people listen to it on his CD player. I don't know his name, though, so I'm sorry but I can't give you a website.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

It sounds like an awesome concert. Ah. I haven't been to a concert in more than a year...

The conversation with Patrick is so cute <3 Sounds like a great experience!

Jenna said...

That concert review was excellent, Savy <3<3<3
Omg, that sounds so great. Just, wow.
I think waiting outside in the snow for a concert would be kind of fun, actually. Once you got over the freezing cold D:
But it'd be really pretty, ya know? ESPECIALLY in Times Square <3

Wow, that just sounds like such an amazing experience!
Especially meeting the band. Awww <3<3<3

Great post Savy. Put a smile on my face (:

meh said...

ahh that sounds amazing! i wish i could've gone, i haven't been to a concert in almost a year, i miss it haha.
miss you savy!

Savy said...

It was really beautiful in Times Square. I'll have to put up the pictures when I have a chance!

I miss you too Maya! We have to get together soon!

Anonymous said...

check out my blog.
there's something waiting for you there! <3

Jenna said...

there's a surprise for you on my blog, too!
=D

lol